Friday, April 3, 2009

My Gaming History

Who am I and why should you care? Well, the simple answer is no one in particular and no reason you should. But for the sake of argument let’s say you do. What are my credentials?

A little history of my gaming experience should shed some light. As I was growing up video games were not allowed in my house. They were new and like all things new, scary to parents and therefore banned. I had to sneak over to the neighbor’s house to get a chance to ‘watch’ Pong. As a result, I played my first computer game around 1993 when I got my very own PC at the ripe old age of 29.

It was the original SimCity and the weekend I got it I was up ‘til 3:00 AM two nights in a row completely absorbed. Waiting for the next update on my abilities as Mayor was enthralling. Could I get more money coming in or would I be in the red forever? What natural disaster would hit next? My son was lucky he got fed that weekend.

Since then I have actively played lots of simulation games. I am a huge fan of Pharaoh and all The Sims titles. I love Roller Coaster Tycoon and will try almost anything with Tycoon in the title. I really enjoyed Sid Meier’s Alpha Centauri, unfortunately it no longer plays on my current system. I like Alice Greenfingers and BigFishGames. Pogo is my friend. I am the epitome of a casual gamer. Hardcore players look at me and cringe, sometimes crosses are involved.

I have tried several times to play console games, but apparently my generation is missing the gene that allows you to successfully use those hand held controllers. So, I’m a PC girl all the way.

In early 2005, after re-reading the Wheel of Time books by Robert Jordan for the fifth time, I decided I wanted to try a role playing game. I trotted on down to Best Buy (actually I drove, never been good with horses, I have a fear of heights and they are a little too tall for my taste) and bought Guild Wars because I thought the girl on the package was pretty. See how I used the scientific method there to choose my game. It’s always important to keep your priorities straight during game selection.

I liked Guild Wars. I liked the graphics and once my son explained how to fight I liked the game play. Exploring was fun and I loved finding out what cool things would drop when I killed something. I liked that there was no monthly fee. I’m easily pleased. The only problem was that my old computer tended to boot me out of the game frequently or freeze all together while playing. It became too frustrating, so my son, bless him, suggested I try World of Warcraft. He had never played it but he said it was the same type of game.

So, despite the fact that the game had an ugly orc on the cover, in October of 2005 I bought it, installed it and my adventure began. Now being the casual girl I am and from a generation not used to these games I chose to begin with…can you guess? Of course you can; a Night Elf Hunter. That toon has been gone for years as about three months in I switched to Horde, but either way, I’ve been playing ever since. I’m an alt-oholic. I’ve created, played and deleted more low level toons than you can imagine. Having played non-stop since October 2005, I have exactly one level 80. Tedrah on Sisters of Elune. She recently jumped there from Ravenholdt where she was known as Tedra. If you see me in game, feel free to say hey.

That’s who I am in relation to gaming. Next time let’s talk less about me and more about WoW. I always like to talk about WoW.

Feel free to comment and while you are at it, let me know who you are.

No comments:

Post a Comment